Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tokyo Adventures: Part One

For my last weekend in Japan, we decided to take a trip to Tokyo. You cannot live in Japan and not go to Tokyo at least once. It also would cut down on my flight time back to Florida (21 hours of flying and layovers) and who doesn't want to take a long weekend vacation.

We decided to leave on a Thursday after T got home from work. Leaving mid-day or night has worked out well for us. Morning flights are just not my thing but than again neither are mornings in general. The weather was beautiful and I got some photos as the plane took off.

My Last Look at Okinawa

The only tough part about flying into Tokyo at night is the transportation. We had a problem with this when we had a layover on the way to Thailand so this time we were prepared. T had figured out 4 different ways to get from Narita to our hotel in Shibuya. The lady at the Airport Limousine Bus counter was really helpful and we got on a bus that took us almost the entire way to the hotel which is about two hours away. 

I am really picky about hotels. Specifically in foreign countries. I figure we needed to be a good area with lots to do and close to Tokyo transportation. And spoiled as this will sound is nice inside. We may not be around much but I want to look forward to coming back and getting into bed. Not dreading it because it smells or I'm afraid bugs will crawl all over my face at night. Oh and Tokyo is EXPENSIVE! But we got lucky and found a decent deal at the Cerulean Tower Hotel in Shibuya. Everything about the hotel was fabulous except the bed. I had forgotten that many Japanese hotels have Japanese beds and they are hard as rocks! I slept with pillows under me because it hurt my back.

Our Corner Room - Two Views
After we checked into the hotel both of our tummies were growling. Neither of us wanted to sit down and eat a big meal and I was craving fries. So McDonald's it was. We finally found it after walking in the pouring rain for 30 minutes. I promise this was the only time we even glanced at fast food or an American chain the entire trip. I just needed some greasy, salty fries!


We went back to the hotel and T immediately fell asleep but I stayed up until my usual time planning out our trip. Since I hadn't slept well the night before and it was crazy raining outside we took it easy in the morning. We left the hotel to get lunch on the way to our assigned tour at Tokyo's Imperial Palace. The palace and gardens are in a business section of Tokyo so there wasn't much as far as restaurants and shops but there was a small mall nearby. We stopped in and found a cute Italian cafe - Stand T. 


Iced Tea & Iced Coffee with Liquid Sugar :)
We ate pretty quickly and headed to the palace. I was surprised there was actually a huge group of people waiting for the tour (mostly Japanese). T and I were handed these audio players that allowed you to hear about the various parts of the tour. I got pretty bored with it so halfway through I stopped caring. And since I did that I barely remember anything about the palace. 

Here is what I do remember:
We saw lots of buildings. I am pretty sure none of them were the actual palace. 

This building is called the Chōwaden Reception Hall. It is where the Japanese Royal Family greets well wishers on certain days of the year as they gather outside. 

Notice the rain - it was like this pretty much the whole day! When in Tokyo buy a plastic umbrella like they do and for the most part stay dry.

The landscaping is beautiful. I think I took more pictures of trees and flowers than I did of the actual buildings. 


Rain will ruin a good hair day and a cute outfit!

After the tour, we walked around the area and found more pretty scenery. This cute little restaurant was by the fountains and a small lake with a cute bridge to walk over.  All of this in the center of several skyscrapers. It was a like a peaceful hideout in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city.


Cherry Blossom Tree

Walking in the rain for several hours made me crave something sweet. I'm not sure why but this will be a trend throughout the weekend. I am not a sweets person! As we were walking back to the train station we found an underground mall area and a little bakery.



I could eat something from this place for the rest of my life. I was so giddy after picking out our pastries that T gave me a high five for finding the place. The Japanese girl behind the counter laughed at us and smiled and so T gave her a high five. I have a dorky husband.

Thought it was a breadstick - Turned out there was a hotdog inside.
Tomato & Cheese Center
Apple Pastry: By Far The Best!!!
We went back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. T decided he really wanted to find an izakaya and I decided we should head towards Ebisu. There is an article from Time Travel, "Tokyo: 10 Things To Do" and there were two restaurants mentioned in the article. However, it is extremely difficult to find a specific place in Tokyo. The buildings are mostly all at least seven stories and the small signs telling people what is on each floor are mainly in Japanese. 


So we gave up and as we were walking down an alley from a place that looked like good food and would probably have an English menu. Jackpot! 

Our Electronic Menu (in English)
Inside Restaurant
We ordered with our electronic menu and we ordered big.

Edamame & Beer
Chicken On A Stick
Bruschetta except with Chili Beans
Yum. Salmon.
T ordered a Hoppy thinking it was a beer. It is actually a non-alcoholic drink (no wonder we thought it tasted like water) that you mix with a shot of sake. It wasn't horrible. Like sake and water.
Spicy Chicken
With our bellies delightfully full we walked back up the alley and found a British Pub. It was pretty packed but the bartender was super nice and when a seat opened up he grabbed it for us. We each had a beer and decided we were just too tired to party. Another long day tomorrow.

 

1 comment: