Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tokyo Adventures: Part Three

Our last full day in Tokyo we started the day with brunch. It was a beautiful day outside and T found this cute place in the middle of a Shibuya neighborhood called Good Honest Grub. I love the name! The owner is from Canada so the menu is full of Western style breakfast items. 



We sat outside on the patio and enjoyed the sun. We were the only people there for quite some time. But some neighborhood kids played out on the street while we ate. 



T had an omelet that came with broiled tomatoes, beans, breakfast potatoes, and toast. I got a breakfast burrito that came with beans, salad, and salsa. We devoured as much of the food as we could. 


After we ate, we walked back towards the metro. Near the Shibuya metro station is the well-known Shibuya Crossing. The crossing is an intersection known for the cluster of people crossing all at one time. All traffic stops and you can walk in any direction. It is an interesting spot to people watch and get some good pictures. We went up to the second floor of the building with Starbucks to get some pictures. 


We left Shibuya for the Tokyo Dome. Before we even booked the hotel T had booked tickets for us to see a Yomiuri Giants vs. Hanshin Tigers baseball game at the dome. He's a sports fanatic. I was actually pretty excited as well. The game is a huge rivalry within Japanese baseball. 



The main difference between an American baseball game and a Japanese one are the crowd never stops chanting. Not once was their silence. There are cheerleaders. You can get sushi at the game. And even at a huge rivalry game everyone is civilized. 

Cheerleaders
Giants Won!
We left the game at the end of the 7th inning. Both of us had started falling asleep and I figured it was time for us to get going. I had looked up buildings where you can go to the top for a good view of the city and found out the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku is free and you can go until 11 PM. We wanted to get there around sunset. In the summer in Tokyo, there is a lot of fog and haze so you don't get a great view of beyond the city. But on a good day our view would have included Mount Fuji.





Shinjuku is one of the more popular areas for young professionals. It looks and feels a lot more like the Tokyo seen in pictures and in movies. It is also known for shopping! And of course I dragged my husband into a shopping mall with seven stories. I walked around the first few stories thinking I wasn't going to find anything at a decent price. I was just about to give up the search but the last store I found some cute things at a good price and they fit! 

Shinjuku at Night

It was pretty difficult shopping when the ladies helping me didn't understand English very well. But they were so sweet and between some broken English and charades I left with a brown shift dress, casual black capris with bows on the bottom, dressy coral shirt, light pink chiffon pleated shorts, and navy and white striped flats. I wanted more but I could tell T was getting anxious to leave. 
 
While we were in the mall I felt a jolt and then really dizzy. The intercom came on pretty soon after and people kept going on about their business. The lady helping us pay for the clothes asked if we felt the earthquake and told us the intercom was to let everyone know there was no need to exit the building. Crazy - it ended up being a 5.8 - normal for Japan after the large earthquake last March.

We walked a few blocks from the shopping mall towards an area that looked crowded and should have lots of places to eat. We found an Indian restaurant on the second floor so we could people watch. Sensing a trend. The food was pretty good but it was the Pineapple Shake that was delicious.



On the way back to the metro we stopped into another bakery. This one specialized in macaroons. I have never had a macaroon and wasn't sure if I would like them. But there were so many and they were so cute I bought three. T got a lemon eclair. 

Cutest Bags & Boxes


We went back to the hotel to pack and eat our treats. I told T that if ever get orders to Okinawa again, I want to come back to Tokyo more often. There is so many things we didn't get a chance to do or see!
 
We both had flights the next afternoon to different places. He was going back to Okinawa and I was flying to Florida. Our flights were at the same time and in different terminals of the airport. To say I was upset is an understatement. I am not a public crier. I think it is incredibly embarrassing to have people watch you fall apart. But sometimes you just can't help but fall apart in a public place. 

Now I am back in Florida waiting for my Marine to come back to me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment