Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Oh Wait... Where am I?!?

Warning: This content contains whining, griping, and lots of complaining!

Sometimes on rare occasions I actually forget we live in Japan! It's crazy considering there is very little about Okinawa that resembles America, but it happens and for a few seconds I think I can walk out the door and I will be back in my neighborhood where the houses are made of brick and there are sidewalks and palm trees and people walking their dogs and sunshine. Then I come back to reality and all the buildings are made of concrete, there are no sidewalks, it's raining and cold, and no one walks their dog.

If you haven't already guessed it - I am homesick. I dream day and night about being back in the states; about where we will be living even if we have no idea; about actually being able to drive; about seeing family and friends. There are a few things that often make us think we are back in the states and yet easily remind us we are no where near home.

1. We typically Skype with family on the weekends. We really enjoy being able to talk and see them, but when there is a 13+ hour difference and the best time to chat is when one side is waking up and the other is getting ready for bed, it is a big reminder of how far we are.

2. Driving - It is easy to forget in the car where we are until a car pulls out in front of you only to turn and you are stuck waiting. I may not like how people drive anywhere in the world, but I long for the days where we don't have to watch out for people who PARK on the side of major roads. And I will feel much safer when the roads are big enough to actually accommodate for two lanes instead of one and a half.

3. Even cooking is exactly the same as it was when I lived in my apartment. That is until I try to fit a normal size baking sheet into the oven! I don't know why but the oven is only 13 x 13 and it doesn't cook things evenly - drives me crazy.

4. We have various ways of watching American TV; a Slingbox is set up in my room at my parents house and we also have a way to connect to Netflix. So why is this a huge reminder we are not in the US?! Because the process to get any of them to work is starting to annoy me. I cannot wait until we can just turn on the TV and oh wow, a football game is playing and it isn't 3 AM in the morning!

Now don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the opportunity to be here and to be with my husband, but I am ready for us to come home. We really miss our family and friends & hopefully we will be seeing some of you soon!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment